How to submit to League magazine
Submissions for League Issue 2 open Oct 15, 2017 and close March 30, 2018 or when we have filled our content needs.
League Issue 2 will be published in the fall of 2018.
Before you submit, please read this page carefully. To improve your chances, familiarize yourself with the publication’s special content, submission categories and look and feel by visiting our current issue (Issue 2) page.
There are two options to submit to League magazine. The first is a Curated Submission. For a small admin fee of $50 CDN, our editorial team will not only consider your submission, but also provide one-time, personalized feedback including comments on curating your collection, image strengths and weaknesses, and your overall application. Please note editorial feedback does not guarantee your entry or re-entry will be successful but is a valuable take-away that we hope improves your submissions to any publication in the future.
All submission fees go toward the costs of producing the magazine.
Pretty confident in your submission? The second option is a Regular Submission. Make sure you are familiar with the magazine’s submission categories, then continue reading for details on how to submit to League. Please note that if you chose this latter option you will not receive personalized feedback on your submission, and we will only contact successful applicants.
Here are the terms and some tips on being published in the magazine or on the website.
Follow a Code of Ethics
League of Landscape Photographers are defined by their attitude toward nature and each other, and League showcases ethically created photography. A prerequisite to publication is your representation that your images and text (your “work”) are:
- your own, original work to which you retain copyright, or have legal permission to submit; and
- obtained in a manner consistent with your own, posted code of ethics. Not sure what that means? Check out this comprehensive set of guidelines for ideas.
Follow the Theme
League of Landscape Photographers and League are primarily concerned with nature and landscape, but we define landscape in the broadest sense from wilderness to industrial to cultural landscapes (including people and animals on the land). Instead of an idealized portrait of nature, we want you to show us what you see happening in the world close to you. Artists with a personal connection to a topic tend to produce more compelling, personal work – these are the stories we wish to share with the world.
For League Issue 2, the theme is Polar II Prairie so be sure to submit appropriate images and stories to fit the theme. As well, decide if you are submitting to Featured Contributor, Best of the League, or League Gallery section of the magazine (see below).
We do not discriminate on your ‘level’ of photographic experience; terminology such as ‘beginner’, ‘intermediate’ or ‘advanced’ are often meaningless especially when self-ascribed. Your work and conduct will speak for itself.
Follow High Standards of Personal Expression
We are looking for:
- original, fresh photography of a high artistic calibre
- except for the League Gallery and the website blog, most work will highlight photography projects that have not been published to date in other print media
- creative interpretations or opinions on changes occurring on the landscape – how do these changes impact us as humans? other species?
We are not looking for:
- ‘calendar’ photography – many publications already offer beautiful scenics
- stock photography and advertising concepts
- simplistic projects of any political stripe that propose black and white answers to complex environmental issues – instead, engage, question and dialogue
Remember there are a couple sections of the magazine to which you may submit including Feature Contributor (including one student project) and League Gallery.
Remuneration for successful contributors is based on our basic budget at this time. Help us increase our payment rates by spreading the word and encouraging subscriptions!
Payment is upon final mock-up of the magazine.
- Feature Contributor – 3, including a student, at $1000 CDN each.
- League Gallery – 25, at $50 CDN each.
- Best of the League – 1 at $1000 CDN.
- We also pay $1000 CDN for a cover image selected by the editors.
Send your submission with the following information to the editors, Sam and Darwin, to their business email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A short biography of you and your work including a link to your website or social media pages.
- A link to your personal code of ethics if you have one.
- Let us know which section of the magazine you want to be considered for (Feature Contributor, Student Work, Best of the League or League Gallery).
- Send along a short statement (e.g. 500 words or less) about your project or, if submitting to League Gallery, send along a short description about each of the photos submitted.
- Include small JPEGS (1024 px in the long dimension) with your submission. For League Gallery please send no more than five photos curated tightly to Issue 2’s theme, Polar II Prairie. For the other sections of the magazine please send no less than 5 and no more than 25 images about your project that fits the Polar II Prairie theme.
If we are interested in publishing your submission we’ll be in touch to request high resolution files as a quality check prior to acceptance. If you do not hear from us, it means we are not accepting your submission at this time. There can be many reasons why an editor of a magazine rejects a submission, including failure to follow submission guidelines, off-topic submissions and poor quality work. Consider purchasing a Curated Submission if you would like to learn how to strengthen your submissions to any magazine.
We also welcome League blog submissions!
Submissions to the website are welcome any time! Please note at this time we are only paying contributors to League magazine and not the website or newsletter, Field Notes, although we’d love to change this in future if our budget permits! Photographers may write an article for the blog or submit a portfolio of images on a unique project to Recent Work – click here for a sample submission to Recent Work or click the following link for samples of single images for our blog. Blog submissions (single image, article, or personal experiences) will have links to the photographer’s website and social media pages if desired. Images published on the blog or Recent Work can still be submitted to League magazine provided the magazine guidelines are strictly adhered to. Blog themes are open in terms of subject matter so if you do not have Polar II Prairie themed work consider submitting to the blog. Please send images sized 1024 pixels in the long dimension and your article or description to email@example.com. Title your email League Blog Submission.
Stay in touch by signing up for our Field Notes newsletter!